Assistant Director of Counseling & Disability Services
Company: McMurry University
Posted on: November 24, 2022
McMurry University is a private, selective, liberal arts
university founded in 1923 and affiliated with the United Methodist
Church. We are located on a beautiful 52-acre campus in the heart
of Abilene, Texas. With over 1,100 undergraduate students, McMurry
offers 45 majors, 40 clubs and organizations and 21 intercollegiate
NCAA, Division III sports.
The Assistant Director of Counseling & Disability Services is
responsible for assisting the Director with the operations of the
University Counseling and Disability Services Center. This position
has a special focus on social work case management and referral of
student cases as well as personal counseling, crisis intervention,
and outreach programming for students, faculty and staff of McMurry
University. The professional in this position helps to build the
capacities of individuals (sometimes with developmental
disabilities) and their family members utilizing available support
networks on and off campus. Provides a wide range of psycho-social
assessment, therapeutic, and case management services for the
Counseling and Disability Services Center. This position requires a
high degree of independent decision-making as well as team
collaboration. This position is an integral part of the Student
Affairs Division and reports to the Director of Counseling &
Disability Services. As a 10-month appointment, this position works
mid-August to mid-May.
McMurry is deeply committed to building a community that embraces
diversity and fosters equity and inclusion on our campus. We seek
applicants who recognize diversity and cultural mindfulness as
integral components of university excellence. We are looking for
candidates who will contribute to the diversification and
enrichment of ideas and the advancement of distinctive perspectives
* Provide personal counseling to McMurry students to assist them in
resolving psychological problems that affect their performance as
* Assist in responding to crisis situations and emergencies on
* Maintain accurate documentation of counseling sessions following
state guidelines for professional counselors.
* Demonstrate a conscientious adherence to the American
Psychological Association's Ethical Principles and Code of
* Respect the students' rights to confidentiality within the
*Social Work Case Management and Referral Services*
* Collects patient data through case history and record review,
interview, and screening measures. Evaluates data to inform clinic
scheduling and referral procedures. Assists parents and caregivers
through referral, intake, and evaluation process.
* Consults with other therapists and related professional staff (on
and off campus) in the performance of therapeutic and/or casework;
refers clients to appropriate service agencies as required. Refers
clients and their caregivers to appropriate social service agencies
for financial assistance and other required services.
* Provides family support and/or counseling, including education
and resources, to support adjustment to student's diagnosis,
selecting and accessing interventions, care coordination and/or
improving social-emotional skills.
* May provide formal teaching, consultation, and in-service
training to relevant professionals in evidence-based practice
related to referral, assessment, and intervention for developmental
and behavioral health concerns.
* Assist new students and family members with information about
disability services and with providing accommodations for any
students needing these services.
* Advocate for students with disabilities when appropriate.
* Serve as a source of information for students, faculty, staff,
and administration about disability issues
* Assist the Director in providing educational and outreach
programming to the campus community regarding mental health,
wellness, substance abuse prevention, sexual harassment and
violence and other areas as needed.
* Work with students and families as needed during the new student
Job Type: Full-time
* 8 hour shift
* Monday to Friday
Work Location: One location%58047475%
Keywords: McMurry University, Abilene , Assistant Director of Counseling & Disability Services, Executive , Abilene, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!